Wheatgrass is the burgeon of the wheat plant. It’s considered to be a highly potent food with extraordinary health benefits. It’s usually consumed as a fresh juice, but it is also produced in powdered and tablet form. There are plenty of benefits of Wheatgrass juice.
The best way to consume wheatgrass juice is on an empty stomach in the morning. It helps with digestion by acting as a natural cleanser for your digestive system. It detoxifies the body by getting rid of the toxins. Further, it helps relieve constipation because of its high fibre content, which helps boost metabolism and supports weight loss.
The wheatgrass leaves are difficult to digest, so they’re usually crushed and squeezed to make juice. Tablets and capsules are made out of dried wheatgrass leaves. Some mix wheatgrass with water and use it as an enema to cleanse their stomach. Others eat wheatgrass raw as they believe that cooking destroys the natural enzymes.
People consume wheatgrass juice to combat several health conditions, including cold, cough, fever, digestive problems, and skin conditions. Wheatgrass juice is believed to help in prevention and helps to treat more serious conditions, like cancer, AIDS, etc. Wheatgrass juice has a potent ingredient called chlorophyll which is the reason plants have the pigment of green colour. It is said that chlorophyll works like haemoglobin, a protein in red blood cells that transports oxygen.
Presently, the research and evidence on the health benefits of wheatgrass are limited. So from everything we’ve discovered about wheatgrass juice, here are some of the common queries for you to understand this tonic better.
What are the Benefits of Wheatgrass Juice?
- High Nutrients and Antioxidants: Wheatgrass juice is a one-stop source of many different vitamins and minerals. It is particularly high in iron, magnesium, calcium and amino acids as well as vitamins A, C and E. Wheatgrass juice contains several important antioxidants, which includes glutathione and vitamins C and E. Antioxidants are compounds that fight free radicals to prevent cell damage while reducing oxidative stress. Antioxidants do a wealth of good to your body. They help protect against conditions like heart disease, cancer, arthritis and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Fights Cholesterol: A waxy substance that is found throughout the body that is associated with health troubles is cholesterol. While cholesterol is needed to make hormones and produce bile, excess cholesterol in your blood can hinder blood flow and increase the risk of heart disease. Some studies reveal that the consumption of wheatgrass juice may help lower the bad cholesterol and increase the good (HDL) cholesterol. Interestingly, it was found that wheatgrass juice was similar to atorvastatin, a prescription drug commonly used to treat high blood cholesterol. However, more studies are needed to understand the definite results.
- Boosts Immunity: Looking for ways to bolster your immunity? You can buy wheatgrass juice online. It enhances the functions of your immune system. Enriched with 17 types of amino acids, myriads of antioxidants and essential vitamins, wheatgrass juice has many healthful properties that aid overall health. It can revitalise the body and power up your body’s defences to help keep illnesses at bay. The juice helps strengthen your body from the inside and accelerates healing. High fibre content also stimulates digestion.
- Expedites Weight Loss: Wheatgrass juice is the go-to for weight loss for many people. Thylakoids are tiny compartments found in plants that contain chlorophyll and absorb sunlight for photosynthesis and they are also present in wheatgrass. While there isn’t direct evidence that wheatgrass juice could contribute to weight loss, several studies have discovered that supplementing with thylakoids could enhance satiety which leads to increased weight loss by cutting down on overindulgence of food. A study showed that supplementing with thylakoids increased satiety by releasing the hormones responsible for decreasing hunger and slowing down the emptying of the stomach. Certain other human and animal studies have found that it is possible to increase satiety and weight loss through the consumption of wheatgrass juice as it contains thylakoids.
- Helps Prevent Type 2 Diabetes: Some scientists have found evidence that wheatgrass juice can help treat type 2 diabetes. In fact, many have been using this as traditional medicine since the beginning. Some studies revealed that wheatgrass juice helped raise insulin levels and helped lower blood glucose. Experts think that inflammation plays a role in diabetes. A common symptom of diabetics is high blood sugar. This causes a wide array of symptoms, such as headaches, thirst, frequent urination and fatigue. Wheatgrass juice fights inflammation and this may help you manage diabetes and some of its complications. However, more studies are needed to understand the effects of wheatgrass juice on diabetes better.
How Much Wheatgrass Juice Should You Drink a Day?
A typical liquid dose of wheatgrass juice is anywhere from 30 ml to 120 ml or about 2 shots. You can take 30 ml of wheatgrass juice and dilute it in 30 ml of water before drinking. Consume this juice twice a day for maximum benefits. A powdered dose can be consumed from 3 to 5 grams, or about 1 teaspoon. Drinking a 250ml cup of water after taking wheatgrass juice can help to minimise the risk for side effects.
The plausible risks of having wheatgrass juice are:
- Upset stomach
Hence taking a big dose of wheatgrass juice is a big No! Wheatgrass is difficult to digest, hence, while consuming it for the first time it is advisable to start with a small dose and allow your body to adjust to it. You can gradually increase your intake to match the recommended dose.
Once your body has adjusted to wheatgrass, these symptoms gradually fade within two weeks. It is not advisable to take wheatgrass if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding. People who are allergic to wheat or grass may develop allergic reactions. If you have any other medical conditions, wheatgrass should be consumed after consulting with your doctor.
What Happens When You Drink Wheatgrass Every Day?
If you drink wheatgrass juice daily, you can benefit from the high levels of enzymes present in wheatgrass. You can buy wheatgrass juice online and dilute it in water for daily consumption. Wheatgrass juice contains plenty of vital enzymes like protease, lipase and cytochrome oxidase which is helpful for protein digestion, splitting fats and safeguarding against oxidative stress.
Further, the enzymes present in wheatgrass juice aid digestion by helping your body in breaking down food and absorbing its nutrients. Consuming wheatgrass juice every day helps with cleaning your intestines due to its quality of detoxing, this leads to less gas, bloating and abdominal discomfort, which are some of the wheatgrass juice benefits related to digestion.
Wheatgrass juice benefits you by increasing your red blood cells, it helps lower your blood pressure, cleanses your organs and your gastrointestinal tract of any unwanted debris. It can keep your breath fresh and your gums healthy. Wheatgrass juice is excellent for your dental health to prevent and fight gum disease. It also increases energy levels when consumed daily.
Summing it Up
All in all, it can be said that wheatgrass juice can act as a potent herbal juice to help you battle many health troubles. You need to watch your intake and consult your doctor before adding it to your daily regimen. So to keep your energy levels up and live a clean, healthy life switch to drinking wheatgrass juice every day. You can find some of the best wheatgrass juice online, go choose the one that serves you well.